So, Menefee women were important,too…
Mildred Emily Menefee was born in 24 May in Jonesboro, Missouri. She was the daughter of Dr Buell Fountain Menefee and Flora Catherine Baker Menefee.
Mildred Emily Menefee descends from Revolutionary War Soldier, Jarrett Menefee. She became a Daughter of the American Revolution on Jarrett Menefee’s line back in
Jarrett Menefee was born 1721 in Spotsylvania County, Colony of Virginia. Jarrett Menefee died 7 March 1811 in Lincoln, Kentucky County of Virginia. He was the father of William Menefee, Jonas Menefee,
Jarrett Menefee gave service in Virginia with the rank of Private. He served under Captain Benjamin Logan. He, sons, and other family members served to gain America’s Independence. They were awarded land warrants for their service, first in Kentucky County, Virginia.
In her own right, Mildred Emily Menefee Warlow, made her own contributions to the greater good of society during her long lifetime. She was 93 years of age at her death. She married John Franklin Wardlow and had but one child, John Wardlow.
1940 Federal Census record
- Name: Mildred Menefee
- Event Type: Census
- Event Date: 1940
- Event Place: Montgomery City, Montgomery Township, Montgomery, Missouri, United States
- Sex: Female
- Age: 25
- Marital Status: Single
- Race (Original): White
- Race: White
- Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Daughter
- Relationship to Head of Household: Daughter
- Birthplace: Missouri
- Birth Year (Estimated): 1915
- Last Place of Residence: Same House
- District: 70-16
- Family Number: 178
- Sheet Number and Letter: 8B
- Line Number: 52
- Affiliate Publication Number: T627
- Affiliate Film Number: 2131
- Digital Folder Number: 005460066
- Image Number: 00214
- Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
- Buell Menefee Head M 52 Missouri
- Flora Menefee Wife F 52 Missouri
- Mildred Menefee Daughter F 25 Missouri
Daughter of Buell Fountain Menefee and Flora Baker
Wife of John Franklin Wardlow
Obituary WARDLOW-Mildred Menefee Wardlow, age 92 , died at her home in Villa Gardens Apartments on June 22, 2006. A Pasadena resident since 1952, Mildred was born in Jonesburg, Mo., May 24, 1914 to Dr. Buell Menefee and Flora Baker Menefee.
She attended the University of Missouri, where she served as Mortar Board president and was a member of the Alpha Phi sorority. She graduated with a BS and a BA in 1938. During undergraduate school, she worked as an actuary with the State of Missouri Insurance Department. Mildred was among the first female executives of IBM. She graduated from the IBM School, and worked there from 1939-1946.
After marrying and having a son, she returned to college, obtained a Masters from CSULA, and attended USC to complete her teaching credentials. She served as a counselor at John Muir High School (1954-1957) before going on to work at Pasadena City College. Mildred Wardlow started working at PCC in 1957. She was Dean of Administration, later appointed Vice President of Administration, and retired from that position in June of 1980. A fountain dedicated to Mildred Wardlow is located at the Community Skills Center of PCC.
Mildred married Col. John Franklin Wardlow, U.S. Army, on June 11, 1942. Their son, John Wardlow, was born Jan. 29,1947. A devoted wife and mother, Mildred was widowed Dec.30, 1972. She never remarried.
Mrs. Wardlow loved Pasadena, PCC, and was active in the community after her retirement. She belonged to the Women’s City Club, the Women’s Civic League, the Fine Arts Club and the Pasadena Arts Council.
In addition to having been widowed, Mildred was preceded in death by her beloved son John Wardlow (Jan. 29,1947-Dec. 27,1997) an attorney who graduated from USC, and who practiced law in Tallahassee, FL.
She is survived by her adoring daughter-in-law, Susan Wardlow Anderson, Susan’s husband, Tom Anderson, and a host of very dear friends. A very good woman, Mildred will be missed by all who knew her. Cabot and Sons Funeral Home are handling her final arrangements. Her ashes are to be scattered at sea. A celebration of her life will be held at Villa Gardens, 842 E. Villa St., at Villa Vista. 2:30 pm, Wednesday, June 28.
- MEMORIAL ID 157153337
- Citing this Record: “United States Census, 1940,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K77D-6BL : accessed 7 January 2018), Mildred Menefee in household of Buell Menefee, Montgomery City, Montgomery Township, Montgomery, Missouri, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 70-16, sheet 8B, line 52, family 178, Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940, NARA digital publication T627. Records of the Bureau of the Census, 1790 – 2007, RG 29. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2012, roll 2131
- Collins History of Kentucky , Volume 1, P 12